Sunday, September 30, 2018

Introduction To A Future Supervillain

My name is Darragh, also known as Dagda, and my favourite thing to do is write. I've written a story that was published in the Irish Times as part of a FightingWords workshop back in 2014. My favourite module last year was definitely Storytelling with Ian, as he was a fun lecturer and I enjoyed the idea of storytelling very much.

My biggest accomplishment last semester was creating a working flamethrower glove, it's effects can be seen here. I consider this my biggest accomplishment because of the fact that it was something I started at the beginning of the year, and the first version of it had many issues and was quite dangerous to use.

However, the latest version is able to be used completely one-handed, and I have plans to upgrade it even more and bring it into my group project. Despite the fact I am an adult, there will be adult supervision while making this version.

Over the summer break I went to Orlando, Florida. There was, a lot, of lightning. Orlando is actually the lightning capital of the America, the reason there's so much lightning is because it is on the equator, which is also why NASA decided to the base the JFK space center there.

I also went on several of the rides at Universal, and got horribly sunburnt at Volcano Bay. The biggest and fastest ride Universal has is called 'The Hulk'. And it's name suits it, as it will give you the same amount of fear and adrenaline rushing through your body as if you had to face the Hero it was named after.

There is also one called the 'Rip-Riding-Rocket', which has you slowly climb up a track at a 90 degree angle. And the moment I was facing towards the sky I felt immediate and immense regret. Of course there is an upside to it.

That particular ride allows you to choose what sort of music you want to listen to while riding. I myself chose "Born To Be Wild" by SteppenWolf. An song that was chosen because it somehow managed to match the rhythm to the turns and climax of the ride.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing writing style Darragh. I loved reading this blog and getting to know you more through it. It was witty but also informal and interesting. I have to admit I am scared of your flame thrower but also intrigued at your talent! I would love to go to Orlando so will definitely try the rides you said here if I ever do go. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi daragh/dagda! i really enjoyed reading this blog post, i could feel your energy and passion for the subject matter through the screen!! the flame thrower was and still is terrifying yet insanely impressive, stay brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dagda, i really enjoyed this blog on what you want to be in the future. After seeing you build the flame thrower and seeing the final outcome, i have no doubt you can achieve your dream job. Great writing here, very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darragh, really cool blog. I like the dark vibe. I actually always assumed you bought the glove flamethrower, that's super impressive that you made it yourself. You're post was very easy to read and was really interesting. Also very cool that you were published in The Irish Times. That rollercoaster sounds terrifying! Good tune choice though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Darragh!,
    I really enjoyed reading through your introduction blog post today! I found it to be really interesting and intriguing to find out so much about you. Your blog looks really cool. The dark colour scheme is pretty cool. I found it to be pretty cool that you were published in The Irish Times. Anyways, Good Luck with the course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Darragh!
    Enjoyed reading your blog and learning more about you. Having your story published in the Irish Times is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself. I remember seeing your flamethrower glove last year and thought it was brilliant. Visiting Orlando, Florida sounded like a lot of fun apart from the sunburn. Good blog and look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darragh, have to say I agree, storytelling is so much fun and Ian’s class was definitely my favourite too, it allowed me to let my creative side out, I remember seeing you make that for Margaret’s class if I remember, it was amazing, I definably think you have the skills to be the next batman or something lol, keep up the good work and great intro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Darragh, just read your post, was pretty interesting and loved the title btw. Great to get to knwo more about you through the blog. not going to lie the flamehrower is pretty cool and also scary, I cant be trusted with a lighter let alone a Flame thrower lol. Stil your blog was a great read and orlando sounded fun, was there once before and loved it. Good luck with year 2 man.

    ReplyDelete